As an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) company, there are plenty of ways we can celebrate Employee Ownership Month. We choose to make it a month for helping others. And while community service has always been in our DNA, we can feel especially proud of the way we gave back to the community in October. You can measure our impact in numbers (34 employees, 9 dates, 164.5 hours of service time) or you can measure it in smiles -- from the Fleetwood team and from the grateful folks at these five organizations in the Holland, Michigan area:
• Outdoor Discovery Center, where we removed an old boardwalk and prepared a year-end fundraising mailing.
• Lakeshore Habitat for Humanity, where we helped construct homes.
• Hand 2 Hand, where we packed food for school kids to take home.
• Geneva Camp and Retreat Center, where we cleaned a summer's worth of grime off cabin windows.
• Gateway Center, where we helped in their retail store where donated items are processed and resold.
Says Robin Baldwin from the welding team, “Having this opportunity makes me feel thankful for where I work. I got to help make a different while being outdoors and getting to know my coworkers on a different level. It reminded me of a great quote from Helen Keller: ‘Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.’”
Fleetwood Group supports more than 20 organizations through furniture donations, cash gifts, and employee volunteer hours. We do service projects during the workday and employees are paid their regular rate for their volunteer time.